D.M.'s Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Aug 27, 2008

liked it
Recommended to D.M. by: my wonderful wife again!
Recommended for: seekers of truth.
Read in January, 2007

Sam Harris is one of a handful of modern atheist 'heroes,' who vocally champion the cause of disbelief in the face of a world full of fantasists.
This book was the follow-up/response to Harris' excellent The End of Faith from 2005. He claims it was easier to write the book than to answer the countless letters he received criticising ...Faith.
The book, as it stands, is as interesting reading as the previous, though considerably lighter of purpose. It still manages to contain plenty to encourage the unbeliever and infuriate the faithful.
When it comes down to it, though, I tend to find Harris a little to full of youthful militantism for his atheism, and lacking empathy for those who rely on faith. I'm an atheist, and don't want him as my representative, but he's a strong and intelligent voice for reason at a time when we could use some.
As for Letter..., I'd say read the previous book first, and if you're interested follow it up with this. But don't bother with this one on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.