Sita's Reviews > Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game by Stephen King

Oct 24, 12

Recommended to Sita by: Bookclub Read
Recommended for: King Fans
Read from April 15 to 23, 2012, read count: 1 exhausting time!

I should say upfront, I am not a Stephen King fan. While I think his concepts are brilliant, I find a lot of his work tediously verbose. Unfortunately this was no exception. At one point he wrote for TEN pages about her trying get a drink of water, TEN PAGES for ONE action. His need to describe EVERYTHING to the last dust ball in the room in metaphoric detail makes me want to claw my eyes out. Ironically fitting to many a book by him I am sure.

The heroine is extremely obnoxious and apparently slow witted. It takes her hours, even into days, to see that she is obviously in a horrible and dangerous circumstance which leaves her with very little in the way of options. Getting out of this WILL take drastic measure, but she spends the entire book talking to herself about inane things and dreaming of her life. Hey, whats a little dehydration when there are butterfly pictures on the walls to reminisce over?

The book wasn't creepy at all to me. I heard from some people that it was very "disturbing" to them. I didn't really find it disturbing personally but I understood why others could find it such and would agree those qualities are there. There are some graphic details of child molestation. And while brief, they are emotionally effective.

I have read some reviews which said this was a gripping and terrifying story, maybe Kings most disturbing.. If by gripping and terrifying you mean I am gripping the damn book in frustration and terrified I will DIE before this woman does or says ANYTHING interesting, then yeah, yeah I'd agree with that.. And I sincerely hope this is NOT King's most disturbing work, if so, I know what to read when I need to fall asleep.

Between the extremely lengthy descriptions of her memories for the first 80% of the story and the end being jarringly thrown into first person as the heroine wraps everything up in a letter to a friend. I didn't feel there was more than a few pages of actual tension in this book.

I think other than boredom and a strong need to just get the darn thing done with, the only other emotion I felt was sadness for the darn dog. There is a side story for this dog that I found more interesting and upsetting than the rest of the entire book. I honestly wished it would just eat her and be done with it..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gerald's Game.

04/20/2012 page 70
16.0% "OMG! Is the whole book going to be her in this stupid bed with voices and her telling BORING ass stories? Move it along all ready King and stop yacking three or four paragraphs at a time about random shit. He must have talked about that damn dog five times already! Does it have anything to do with THE STORY? No! Then stf up about it already."
04/20/2012 page 75
17.0% "Oh for fucks sake. NOW the dog comes into the picture... 'bout fricken time." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…