Mary's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Apr 15, 12

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

Quotes Mary Liked

Rick Riordan
“I'm Dylan. I'm so cool. I want to date myself, but I don't know how! You want to date me instead? You're so lucky!”

Rick Riordan
“Even little Herley, who couldn't have been more than eight, looked like he could go six rounds with Chuck Norris without breaking a sweat.”

Rick Riordan
“Cool" Leo said. "I always wanted a sister who could beat me up.”

Rick Riordan
“Hold up," Leo said. "You guys lost a dragon? A Real full size dragon?”

Rick Riordan
“Zeus looked like a really buff, really angry hippie.”

Rick Riordan
“Jason scratched his head. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?”

Rick Riordan
“Shut up, me,” Leo said aloud.
“What?” Piper asked.
“Nothing,” he said. “Long night. I think I’m hallucinating. It’s cool.”
Sitting in front, Leo couldn’t see their faces, but he assumed from their silence that his friends were not pleased to have a sleepless, hallucinating dragon driver.
“Just joking.” Leo decided it might be good to change the subject.”

Rick Riordan
“Can we just call them storm spirits?” Leo asked. “Venti makes them sound like evil espresso drinks.”

Rick Riordan
“Piper patted his shoulder. “Trust me, Valdez. Beautiful people never lie.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: “I can’t believe I thought you were hot.”
Khione’s face turned red. “Hot? You dare insult me? I am cold, Leo Valdez. Very, very cold.”

Rick Riordan
“They both (Thalia and Hera) glared at her, and for three long seconds, Piper wasn’t sure which one of them was going to kill her first.”

“Die!
--Gleeson Hedge”

“Oh, and Drew, honey?”
The former counselor looked back reluctantly.
“In case you think I’m not a true daughter of Aphrodite,” Piper said, “don’t even look at Jason Grace. He may not know it yet, but he’s mine. If you even try to make a move, I will load you into a catapult and shoot you across Long Island Sound.”
Drew turned around so fast, she ran into the doorframe. Then she was gone.”

Rick Riordan
“Vulcan?" Leo demanded. "I don't even LIKE Star Trek!”

Rick Riordan
“What's Cabin Nine?" Leo asked. "And I'm not a Vulcan!"
"Come on, Mr. Spock, I'll explain everything.”

Rick Riordan
“It's first owner...well, things didn't turn out too well for her. Her name was Helena.'
Piper let that sink in. "Wait, you mean the Helena? Helena of Troy?'
Annabeth nodded.
"And it's just sitting in your toolshed?”

Rick Riordan
“Destroy it?' Leo was appalled. 'You've got a life-size bronze dragon, and you want to destroy it?'
'It breathes fire,' Nyssa explained. 'It's deadly and out of control.'
'But it's a dragon!”

Rick Riordan
“Cabin Fifteen does that to everyone," Annabeth warned. "If you ask me, this place is even more dangerous than the Ares cabin. At least with Ares, you can learn where the land mines are."
"Land mines?”

Rick Riordan
“If I'm dead," he murmured. "Why does it hurt so much?”

Rick Riordan
“Is that me?,' Leo said. 'Like me--having this dream--looking at me having a dream?”

Rick Riordan
“No, no,” Leo said. “Rainbows. Very macho.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”

Rick Riordan
“Hera: Ohh, Thalia Grace, when I get out of here, you'll be sorry you were ever born.
Thalia: Save it! You've been nothing but a curse to every child of Zeus for ages. You sent a bunch of intestinally challenged cows after my friend Annabeth
Hera: She was disrespectful!
Thalia: You dropped a statue on my legs.
Hera: It was an accident!
Thalia: AND you took my brother”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: "So...giants who can throw mountains. Friendly wolves that will eat us if we show weakness. Evil espresso drinks. Gotcha. Maybe this isn't the best time to bring up my psycho babysitter."
Piper: "Is that another joke?”

Rick Riordan
“Aphrodite strikes again, huh? You're gonna be the best-dressed warrior in town, beauty queen.”

Rick Riordan
“I'm not good with children," the god confessed. "Or people. Well, any organic life forms, really.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo frowned at the giant's spire. "Can't we blow it up or something?"
"Without me, you do not have the power," Hera said. "You might as well try to destroy a mountain."
"Done that once today," Jason said.”

Rick Riordan
“Nothing lasts forever, not even the best machines. And everything can be reused.
- Hephaestus”

Rick Riordan
“My point is that love is the most powerful motivator in the world. It spurs mortals to greatness. Their noblest, bravest acts are done for love.”

Rick Riordan
“But beauty is about finding the right fit, the most natural fit, To be perfect, you have to feel perfect about yourself --- avoid trying to be something you're not. For a goddess, that's especially hard. We can change so easily.
-Aphrodite”

Rick Riordan
“It'll be dangerous," Nyssa warned him. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."
"Oh." Suddenly Leo didn't look so excited. Then he remembered everyone was watching. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this.”

Rick Riordan
“That's it, cupcake. You're going down.”

Rick Riordan
“I'm the son of Jupiter, I'm a child of Rome, consul to demigods, praetor of the First Legion. I slew the Trojan sea monster, I toppled the black throne of Kronos, and destroyed Titan Krios with my own hand. And now I'm going to destroy you Porphyrion, and feed you to your own wolves."
"Wow, dude," Leo muttered, "You been eating red meat?”

Rick Riordan
“She wondered if it was her stupid mother, the goddess of love, messing with her thoughts. If Piper started getting urges to read fashion magazines, she was going to have to find Aphrodite and smack her.”

Rick Riordan
“Leo: I'm almost out of gas! Woah, that came out wrong. I meant the burning kind!”

Rick Riordan
“I have lightning and wind powers," Jason reminded him. "Piper can turn beautiful and charm people into giving her BMWs. You're no more a freak than we are. And, hey, maybe you can fly, too. Like jump off a building and yell 'Flame on!'"
Leo snorted. "If I did that, you would see a flaming kid falling to his death, and I would be yelling something a little stronger than 'Flame on!”

Rick Riordan
“What about a compromise? I’ll kill them first, and if it turns out they were friendly, I’ll apologize.”

Rick Riordan
“Piper gripped his hand and followed him, “If I fall, you’re catching me.” “Uh, sure.” Jason hoped he wasn’t blushing.
Leo stepped out next. “You’re catching me, too, Superman. But I ain’t holding your hand.”