Franklin Atherton's Reviews > Twelve Mile Limit

Twelve Mile Limit by Randy Wayne White

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, randy-wayne-white
Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

One of my favorite parts of a Randy Wayne White thriller is bar-hopping in a boat. I can't remember exactly which one it was that had this unique feature, but, being a fan of bar-hopping in any form, I thought it to be a brilliant idea.

Twelve Mile Limit had yet another different twist on the bar-hop. It was bar-hopping while wandering up and down the beach. Maybe this is a common theme in beach communities, but being a hopeless inlander, I found it different and charming. This bar-hop also had the unique feature of a rolling bar-room brawl to go along with the bar-hopping. What more could one ask for? We get to see Doc Ford kick the ass of an arrogant action/adventure movie star type, who, with his Aikido background and bad-ass reputation was so obviously patterned after Steven Seagal that it made me wonder what Steven Seagal had done to piss off so many people. Anyway, throw in Tomlinson, the loveable hippy philosopher, and a good time is had by all.

The story was a factually based account of a sunken boat and three missing people. Doc Ford's mission to get to the bottom of it led to South America, once again, as so many of Randy Wayne White's books do. The first time I was reading a RWW novel, he lost me on the jump to South America. I'm not sure which one it was, or why I couldn't make the leap to South America. I blame it mostly on my having the attention span of a 2-year old. But, I stuck with him this time, and off to South America we went. I suspect when a group of highly-paid, professional mercenaries end up going to South America to rescue kidnap victims from what is apparently an entire continent full of entrepreneurial kidnappers, it's sort of like shooting fish in a barrel compared to REAL wartime efforts. Pros going up against a bunch of amateurs with guns, a la Proof of Life, the Russel Crow movie about the same thing.

I liked this book quite a bit more than any other RWW novel I've read. I miss Tomlinson not being in the second half of the book, but I guess it would be out of character for him to participate in the inevitable bloodshed. Some of the features to watch for in this one are, talented octopi, Tomlinson becoming even more mystic to the point of psychic, and Doc Ford getting laid more than James Bond. There is plenty of action, too, including Doc Ford killing a man with his bare hands because he likes the personal touch.

That's all I've got on this one. Probably give it a year and I'll read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelve Mile Limit.