K. Bird's Reviews > Leopard Moon

Leopard Moon by Jeanette Battista

Apr 16, 12

Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

When I first saw this, I thought to myself "Oh, no, not another were-creature girl rebelling against authority and striking out on her own!"

But when I started reading, it was nothing like Barnes' "Raised by Wolves" or Rachel Vincent's "Stray." It reminded me more of the quiet, dwelling on relationships and feelings-of-becoming of Maggie Stiefvater's "Shiver" than the tough-as-nails werewolves of those other books.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this take on were-creatures. I would love to have given it 4.5 stars.

Kess is on the run from her clan and her brother, Sek, in Miami. She finds herself in the North Carolina Mountains...and in the territory of a pack of werewolves.

In fact, she gets a job at The Barn, a restaurant run by the pack's Beta; and there she gets the attention of the Beta's nephew, Cormac.

Kess just wants to lay low, make money, and make sure none of her brother's investigators find her. Cormac is intrigued by the new waitress and her secrets, but he's willing to give her the space and time to figure out what she wants.

And that's what I enjoyed the most about this book, the way Cormac and Kess aren't headstrong, stubborn, aggressive, or stupid. They choices they make are well-reasoned. They don't choose to lie, even for eachother's own good (an often used and frustrating trope in paranormal fantasy) and take the difficult, honest, waiting road always. Cormac is so romantic when he is holding himself still so Kess won't get freaked out. Kess is so awesome when she goes into action (in a well reasoned) way while weighing the lives of Cormac and his family.

Cormac's family...another awesome thing about this book. The whole lodge full of snarky bantering werewolves sounds like a blast.

The reason this book doesn't hit the full 5 stars for me was my odd lack of connection to Kess. We spend quite a lot of time in Cormac's head, and don't get me wrong, that's a fine place to be. We also spend some time in Sek's head, and while I understand the desire to develop him as the villain, I felt we traded off a deeper relationship with Kess because of it. And because I didn't feel that Kess-love, I didn't get to experience her growing relationship with Cormac as fully as I wanted to.

Still, very nice addition to the YA paranormal were creature library, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for the next in the series.

This Book's Snack Rating: multi-grain tortilla chips with real melted cheddar and pico de gallo for the wholesome love story and delicious, snarky banter from the wolves. Can't stop eating until the whole plate is empty.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leopard Moon.