Maria's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Read from July 17 to 31, 2012

I like Throne of Glass.

*****

Same disappointment I had with Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers. =(

I've always been a fan of strong heroines, especially in fantasy books. What i don't like in Throne of Glass is that I saw more of Celaena getting fancy on court life instead of ripping other assassin's jaws and kicking other thiefs' butts. Yes, she's fearsome. and yes, she can handle herself. But the constant frolicking with Dorian instead of parrying swords with him is annoying. (Have you guessed which team I'm rooting for? Haha!)

Dorian is a handsome prince. A ladies man. I don't get why Celeana would be drawn to him. you'd think for an assassin, she's inclined to fighters, soldiers like Chaol. Hmph. At least Dorian was helpless, and Chaol was there in Celeana's death match, intense and daring. Go, boy!

I like Chaol being quiet and reserved. I like the curtness and animosity between him and Celaena, since he's a Captain of the Guard and she's Adarlan's Assassin. I just wish he had more scenes, more POV in the book. I mean, the love triangle was obviously one-sided, with Dorian having more face time with Chaol. They are friends, so imagine where Maas will take us in book two. Yeah, predictable.

The action scenes are kept at a minimum. The story behind Celaena being orphaned and eventually being an assassin is vague. The story is rich though, even if i did find it too long for any heart-thumping scene to come along.

Ms. Maas, I want more fighting scenes, please. I did not taste the danger of Celaena as the most feared assassin. give me some solid evidence!

Fantasy lovers will devour Throne of Glass. I admit that i will read the next installment, but if Chaol is still not getting any, there will some serious bashing for Adarlan's Assassin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

07/17/2012
5.0% 2 comments
07/31/2012
74.0% ""But he knew her thoughts weren't of him. It made his chest ache." :( No. No No No!"
07/31/2012
100.0% "huh. 3 or 4?"
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Angélica (new) - added it

Angélica Oh my glob. Chaol sounds like my type of guy character. I am so totally not digging Dorian. But since this is partially based on Cinderella...

Maria Haha! Dorian's a pretty boy (well, he's a prince) and really charming. but Chaol is more magnetic in character for me. :)

message 3: by Angélica (new) - added it

Angélica Maria wrote: "Haha! Dorian's a pretty boy (well, he's a prince) and really charming. but Chaol is more magnetic in character for me. :)"

Charming unfortunately doesn't work for me. Gruff or blunt (but not rude) works better. :)

Maria Gruff or blunt (but not rude) works better.

Yes, that is Chaol. :) wee!