Caitlin's Reviews > Something Red

Something Red by Douglas Nicholas

2209914
Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012

Something Red absolutely blew me away. This is one of the best debuts I've read in years and the story itself still haunts my dreams. It was all the best elements of Irish folklore, historical fiction, and a very frightening mystery at its cores.

Mr. Nichols' is a very talented writer and storyteller. I love the way he puts words together and describes scenes, events, and people. He also writes great and slightly mysterious characters that I couldn't help, but fall in love with almost immediately.

Imaging being a trader in the 13th century - I couldn't before this. There is the community of travelers, pilgrims, traders, and inns that supply the necessaries along the way. There are bandits and things that go bump in the night and weather that can quite literally free to death anyone unfortunate enough to be out in it.

It's the things that go bump in the night that are at the core of this book. Wrap these things with exiled Irish queens, Lithuanian travelers, monasteries with mastiffs, inns and pure survival and you get a tale you won't soon forget. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Red.

message 1: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Nice to hear you liked it I have this as arc to read soon.