Kathleen's Reviews > A Cold Day For Murder

A Cold Day For Murder by Dana Stabenow

F_50x66
Apr 15, 12

Read in December, 2011

I'm a big Dana Stabenow fan from way back, and was delighted to find this, her very first Kate Shugak novel. Kate's a tough, fearless native Alaskan detective. We meet her in her remote mountain cabin, alone except for her wolf-dog companion. She left the Anchorage prosecutor's office after a near-death experience nailing a child molester. She has no desire to return to that job or to any form of civilization, but her old boss (and lover) talks her into a free-lance assignment: finding a missing park ranger and the agent who went looking for him.

Of course, Kate uncovers murder, greed, and a ruthless villain. In the process, we learn about her complicated heritage, her village, her neighbors, and her powerful and controlling grandmother (who calls Kate "Ekaterina").

Dana Stabenow (and Kate) make me want to spend a long summer in Alaska. Read this series for a hefty dose of scenery, atmosphere, wonderful characters, and of course, the inimitable Kate Shugak.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cold Day For Murder.