Lauren Goff's Reviews > Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe

Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell

Apr 15, 12

Read on April 15, 2012

I won my advanced copy of Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe from http://www.abook-loversreview.com/ . Before I start my review I want to say thank you to Trini Contreras ! Be sure to check out her blog sometime !

Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe tells the story of Chloe Camden and her high school radio show that started out as nothing more than a school project and turned into a catalyst for major change in her life. What I loved about this book is that despite its adorable cover and its cutesy moments, it deals with real life, difficult issues such as Parkinson’s, drug abuse, relationships, and the power of listening to others.

I was completely blown away by this book. When I saw the cover and read what the book was about, I thought that this would be a fun, cute read. I was wrong, but in a good way if that makes sense. The book has moments of being really funny and cute, but there are also moments where I found myself tearing up about things that were happening.

I instantly fell in love with all of the characters, and I was able to connect instantly with Chloe. It was refreshing to find a main character who was interested in helping others and who for the most part, did her best to put her feelings on hold and put others before herself. At the same time, Chloe was not a perfect character and did not have a perfect life. She had a lot to deal with. Her friends kicked her to the curb, her mother and grandmother were fighting, and Chloe had a huge school project looming over her the entire time. Not to mention she had to try to find her place in the crazy little family that was the high school’s radio staff. The main love interest, Duncan, was sweet and a little mysterious, but distant. Even though he was a kind of jerk at some points, I really loved Duncan and found him to be a very realistic character. It was refreshing to see a good girl like Chloe falling for a good guy like Duncan. Best thing about it? No love triangles! I don’t mind them, but it was nice to have a break from the whole ‘who should I choose?!’ drama that has been in a lot of YA books lately. I could write pages and pages about the characters and how each of them had their own personalities and quirks, about how realistic they all were, about how I loved each and every one of them… especially Clementine! But I will let you meet them for yourself when you read the book.

The plot was so amazing. I loved that there were real issues mixed in with the high school drama and romance. There were so many real-life topics discussed in this book, but it was done in such a way that the reader would not be overwhelmed, which in my humble opinion is a major accomplishment. Some books that have heavy subject leave me feeling bogged down and blue, but not this book. This book gave me the bitter along with the sweet. To quote Mary Poppins, the author gave me a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. I got real-life problems along with sweet romance, brilliantly written, fun characters, and lots of juicy high school drama.

I cannot wait to read more from this author, and while I do not have a radio show (yet ::wink wink:: ) I will be singing this book’s praises to everyone I know!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe.