Kathy Martin's Reviews > Struck

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Apr 21, 12

Read from April 15 to 20, 2012

Strong characters and a fast moving plot make this story a real page-turner. Mia is a lightning addict who has been struck by lightning many times. She moves to LA with her mother and younger brother to get away from lightning and away from a town that fears her. She arrives just in time for a massive earthquake to devastate the city.

Mia's mother was buried under a collapsed building for three days and is suffering from stress. Mia has to step up and care for her family in a city that is devolving into chaos. There are rival groups competing for her attention. The Followers are followers of a self-proclaimed religious prophet named Rance Ridley Prophet who is a televangelist preaching the end of the world. The Seekers are opposed to Prophet's organization and are preaching hope. Both groups want to use Mia because of the power the lightning has given her.

There is also a mysterious boy who has visions that have been centering around Mia. Mia doesn't know if she can trust him. After all, the first time she saw him he was standing over her bed with a knife in his hand.

I liked Mia and thought she was an interesting character. I liked the world that was created by the author in this one. I liked the combination of dystopia and paranormal. And, while I knew pretty early who Jeremy was, I still liked the growing relationship between Mia and Jeremy.

I recommend this one to both fans of dystopias and fans of paranormal romances.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Struck.

04/19/2012 page 182