Tami's Reviews > The Misleading Mind: How We Create Our Own Problems and How Buddhist Psychology Can Help Us Solve Them

The Misleading Mind by Karuna Cayton

Apr 15, 12

It is the Buddhist perspective that we all suffer not because life is difficult or that suffering is our destiny but because we are looking outside ourselves to end that suffering. We seek material possessions, lovers, and experiences. Yes, we may gain some enjoyment from these things but ultimately they fall short or they end.

Truly ending suffering comes from a different way of thinking and of experiencing the world. It requires stepping back rather than automatically judging things as good or bad. Moreover, you have to be willing to really look within and learn from yourself.

The Misleading Mind is a very good introduction to Buddhist thought. It presents the basics in a hands-on way that not only explains the philosophy but also the how and why of such concepts. In this way, readers can try out these techniques to fit them into their own ways of thinking and being.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Misleading Mind.