LonewolfMX Luna's Reviews > Screwed Pooch

Screwed Pooch by Jan Millsapps

Aug 12, 10

Recommended for: Dog lovers and those interested in the Soviet Space Program
Read in June, 2009

I have finally finished reading the story of Laika or Kudryavka who was a small female mutt who was a stray in the streets of Moscow, who become an unfortunate victim of the Soviet Union's Space program during the space race during the 1950's when the Soviets were making huge leaps and bounds in space travel beginning with the launch of Sputnik I on October 10th 1957. The Soviets saw the potential and the propaganda victory against the United States, in which the Soviet would then send the next spacecraft Sputnik II into space in which the a living creature would be onboard in order to test the ability of any living creature to survive in which Laika would become that unfortunate victim.

The characters in the book would be a combination of fictional and real life characters such as Dr. Oleg Gazenko Laika's trainer, Lilia and her sister Galina who had seen Kudryavka/Laika on the streets before she became martyred, the priest who had fed Laika and taken care of her, and the Dogs Albina, Mushka, and the rest who were also being trained for spaceflight.

Good but a very sad story and as you can see I am a Dog lover and it saddens me when a Dog is killed and yes to counter a friend's argument Dogs do have souls, but that's another story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screwed Pooch.