Steve's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: great-ya-books

Dairy Queen is one of the best Young Adult books I've read. Every time I thought I had figured out what this book was about, it kept changing on me. The themes are deftly handled, and there are a number of mature topics that are dealt with in an honest and believable fashion, without becoming didactic. The narrator's first person voice is great (as is the audiobook reader). The book builds to a series of scenes that each delightfully resolve the themes that have been developed, and ends on a great note. If you notice I haven't mentioned anything about the plot, that's because it's impossible to describe any of its subplots without it sounding like something I wouldn't be interested in reading: dairy farming, football, Wisconsin, unrequited love, gender roles, family communication. Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't know about any of that when I started! It drew me in from the very start, and kept me enthralled, waiting to see where it was going, and made me care about all those things. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.