Shawn Lane's Reviews > All These Things I've Done

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from May 26 to June 01, 2012

Adored this book!
The first thing that I really liked about All These Things I’ve Done, is the first narrative voice, and how, throughout the book, she actually speaks to the reader.
The second thing that I really liked was her chapter titles. Each chapter title lays out what the reader will read about. The titles contain sarcasm, honesty, humor, and in the end, the words on the pages are simply the confessions in the confessional booth in the form of the book...hence All These Things I’ve Done.
Next, I like this take on the dystopian novel. It’s not another carbon copy of everything else out there! It’s fresh and new!
I also liked the grandmother’s reminiscing back to her youth. Having been born in 1995, (the year that today’s 16 & 17 year old’s were born), she uses terms like OMG, but her grandchildren and their friends can’t figure out what it stands for.
Then there is Anya’s character! Such a strong character who is going to do what is best for her family, even with what it will cost her, but she is also not going to give up on being the good Catholic girl that her mother wanted her to be. She does this in her mother’s memory, since her mother died when Anya was only 6.
But I think what I liked best was the absurdity of chocolate being illegal, alcohol being legalized, speakeasies that serve chocolate and coffee, and last but not least, the chocolate mafia. Like any mafia, there is no shortage of payoffs, murders, and organized crime. I find humor in all this and really enjoyed this take on the future because of it.
Last but not least, I loved the love story. It’s forbidden love. The daughter of a notorious crime boss falls in love with the District Attorney’s son couldn’t make for any better of a love story.
Book two in the Birthright series Because It Is My Blood releases on September 18, 2012. Looking forward to the next chapter in Anya’s life!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Things I've Done.

05/28/2012 page 162