Sara's Reviews > Death Comes to Pemberley

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

119675
Apr 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

I had such high hopes for this novel, as it marries together two of my favourite reading experiences--a novel by Jane Austin and a mystery by P. D. James. It's a quick read--took me just about an evening to finish it. It's interesting to see how James envisions the lives of some of my favourite characters in literature. The domestic life of Darcy and Elizabeth is fleshed out, as is that of her sisters. To give too much of an account would reveal the outlines of the plot, which I prefer not to do. Suffice to say there is a murder, and of course one might easily deduce that Wickham might be at the heart of the mystery.

The trouble is that what we are given is, to my mind, a very unsatisfactory mystery indeed. It's almost as if James gets herself down a road, doesn't know how to bring closure, and comes up with something for which there is scant foreshadowing in the book. She also sets up some rather preposterous connections between a few of the characters from Pride and Prejudice.

In the end, it was just OK, and that's too bad. I love reading just about anything that extends the story of Darcy and Elizabeth. I just wish this had been better plotted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Pemberley.