Micha Meinderts's Reviews > The Price of Salt

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith

May 09, 2012

liked it
Read from April 15 to May 05, 2012

I think this was my second ever "Lesbian" book and I quite enjoyed it. Its theme and subject were pretty generic, yet at the same time I don't think it would've been the same book had it been a man and a boy/young man. And I liked that. It felt less feverish than similar books about men, calmer, and also more distant. Because I couldn't get into the heads of the people involved, I felt no connection.

Therese was erratic and rude and annoying at times, which made me lose pretty much all sympathy and resulted in not being moved at all when they broke up towards the end of the story. She was inconsiderate of other people's feelings and selfish in her actions. I couldn't follow her thought processes at all.

Carol was nicer, but since the reader only sees her through Therese's eyes it was an incomplete picture.

The prose was okay, nothing to write home about but it was definitely not a badly written book. The story dragged a lot, with the road trip stuff. Without the detective it would've been really boring.

It was nice to get a glimpse into the past, however, I enjoyed reading about how people communicated back then, and how cumbersome things were compared to now, yet at the same time things were also less complicated. Interesting!

I wouldn't have picked it up by myself because it is about women, but I'm happy I've read it in the book club. I love the positive (by today's standards almost sappy) ending, I'm not surprised that's why it got so much acclaim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Salt.

04/16/2012 page 100