Emily's Reviews > Mockingjay

F_50x66
Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This review containers spoilers for Mockingjay.

At one point in the book, Joanna Mason, one of the victors from Catching Fire, has this exchange with Katniss:

"Is that why you hate me?" I ask.
"Partly," she admits. "Jealousy is certainly involved. I also think you're a little hard to swallow. With your tacky romantic drama and your defender-of-the-helpless act. Only it isn't an act, which make you more unbearable. Please feel free to take this personally."

I like Joanna because she sums up why I only give Mockinjay, the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy, a 3.5 -- although Goodreads only allows me to give full stars. About half of the book is Katniss moping around or mooning or complaining or whining or otherwise not moving the plot along much at all. Entire chapters devolve into "and Katniss feels bad." I get she feels bad and she's had some unbelievably bad life experiences at the hands of the Capital that defy belief but she's also the main viewpoint character and the complaining got old.

The other half of the book is full of action sequences, one more implausible than the next. And here are some of my bigger plot gripes:

- Anyone notice Katniss gets turned into Hawkeye? Anyone? I couldn't decide if this was good or bad, honestly. On one hand, thumbs up Avengers! On the other hand... isn't Hawkeye in the Avengers? It turns out I like the character of Beetee and I did like District 13s crazy cache of technology and weaponry but this felt silly.

- The bombing of District 12 which, on any level of examination, makes no sense. If District 12 is mining, and the military uses coal to run its generators for the mountain military base for the scene with District 2, doesn't blowing up District 12... shoot the Capital in the foot? Or, as everything seems to run on nuclear -- those hovercraft ain't steampunk -- what was the point of District 12 the whole time? A buffer to District 13?

- Everyone forgets Peeta is missing a leg. The whole book forgets Peeta is missing a leg. I suppose the new leg is so awesome it no longer needs mention? And why does Peeta, who, I should mention, is missing a leg sent on a military mission for District 13 after they made such a hoopty-do about military training and people going on military missions being in military fit condition? Why is Peeta thrown in with their squad? This makes no sense whatsoever.

- Why is the entire military of the Capital housed under one mountain in District 12? Can they not... find two mountains? A mountain and a big sprawling fort? I dunno, a mountain and a freaking castle? Who designs their military to have one massive point of failure?

- And my biggest gripe: why the hell did the Capital trap the entire city where normal people live like the Arena? I was completely down with the Arena-like mobile pods of death. Those rocked hard. But when streets opened up into whirring meatwheels of death, I was like... okay, shark? You have been jumped.

I can go on and on. The whole book doesn't work.

It sounds and feels like sour grapes for a kid's book that never made the slightest pretension of sci-fi worldbuilding. I rolled with it in Hunger Games and Catching Fire because the centerpiece, Katniss, and what happened to her was gripping and awful enough to keep the book rolling. Here, in Mockingjay, the actual rebellion is abstracted out as big events unfold offscreen (notably Peeta's rescue). The whole world is in flames and we see Katniss curled up in a corner. Good sequences, like the bombing of District 13 and the firefight in District 8, are overshadowed by strings of "buh" moments. For a big global rebellion, the book is missing some essential meat. I can't see it. Even the news updates aren't enough. Like Katniss, I can only know about it in the abstract, and it makes the first 70% of the book unsatisfying.

The final end is good. Mockingjay gets back a star for the final pages.

I wanted more. I didn't get more. The book is the weakest of the three. Of course read it to finish off the series, but no reason to re-read a second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.