Robert Mcmullen's Reviews > Fear and Trembling

Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard

M 50x66
Apr 15, 12

I'm not sure how many times I've read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling but I'm sure this won't be the last time. Once or twice a year I return to this little book and marvel at the depth, wit and intuition of it's message.

Ostensibly an analysis of the Old Testament account of Abraham's trek to sacrifice his son, Isaac at God's bidding, the book quickly burrows deeply into the deeper meanings found in the mind-bending actions of the semi-mythical patriach of three of the world's great religions.

Kierkegaard confronts the obvious: Is Abraham a deranged maniac, a religious zealot detached from reality? If not, what compels him to act as he does and how can those actions be justified, or can they be justified at all?

With genius and a literary flourish as fresh and beautiful as a spring garden, Kierkegaard takes the reader on a journey of human alienation, trust, ethics and duty that occupies one's mind long after the last sentence is finished.

Fear and Trembling is a work that one can return to over and over and experience something new with each visit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Trembling.