Jonah's Reviews > The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son

The Film Club by David Gilmour

Apr 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

When reading the back of this book at Barnes & Noble prior to purchasing it, I felt the familiar "this is gonna be good" tingle. I thought that between the pages, I would find an amazing story about a quintessential father, and that father's son would learn an invaluable life lesson by story's end.

Unfortunately, about 3/4 of the way through the memoir, I was thinking to myself "this dad's kid is effed up because his dad's effed up", and by the end of the book, the son was as much a loser as he was at the start (at least as far as I could tell). Damn...so much for the up-the-back-tingles.

What I love about reading, however, is that I tend to find redeeming qualities in everything I read, whatever those qualities may be. In the case of the The Film Club, the constant title-dropping of movies had me wanting to check out the novel versions of some sweet movies, some that I have seen and others that I haven't. That said, I recently purchased both William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist and Elmore Leonard's Get Shorty at Barnes & Noble and will be reading both soon!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Film Club.