Danielle's Reviews > Lost It

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: z-pbsb-i-ve-recieved
Recommended for: Younger girls
Read from April 15 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm not a big fan of this book. I definitely think that this subject matter is for older teens (14-15 and up) but how it's written it's definitely more towards the younger crowed. I know when I was sixteen I wasn't this immature about sex and it frustrates me that Tess is. But keep in mind the main character Tess has been sheltered her whole life because they have no cable. Although her friend Zena is a bit eccentric so you would think she'd have filled Tess in on all the juicy details.

The story is kind of the same thing over and over to me. Basically Tess the main character has a best friend named Zena. Zena's parents have gone through their midlife crisis leaving Zena in a stage of madness where she's obsessed with blowing up a poodle. Tess has her own issues with her parents and ends up latching onto Ben an older boy who has a locker beneath hers. In the very beginning it tells you that she had sex with Ben and then it goes into the story of how it all 'went down'.

Well obviously if you're going to be that desperate and throw yourself at a boy who's clearly saying he doesn't want it or he's not interested because of your desperation he's going to book it as soon as possible. That's a fact. Unless he loves how easy you are, then he might use you a few more times. I always hate how characters think one thing and act on it like a moron. I love the characters who can think and want one thing a lot but know street tactics on how to not show it off. If you're obsessed with a boy and want him that badly you should know better and don't act on how you feel or think.

I do say one thing for Tess though and this might be because of my own personal experience. Usually the first time or at least my first time was terrible. It happened, he disappeared just like Ben did to Tess. So I can say that sometimes girls who don't know any better can end up throwing it away and learning it the hard way. So I can relate to Tess and sympathize with her but she's a junior in high school and that fact throws me for a loop. I understand everywhere is different some people are more sheltered but it still astonishes me.

Lastly the ending. I wasn't a huge fan. Obviously if you lie about something THAT big it's going to burn you. But in Tess's defense Ben's obsession with girls with that illness is a bit strange.

Overall it's not a terrible book but it is possibly one were you want to slap the MC quite a few times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost It.

04/16/2012 page 96
33.0% "I definitly think that the subject matter is for older teens, but how it's written it's definitly more towards the younger crowed. I hope I can get through this thing."