Swankivy's Reviews > How to Get Suspended and Influence People

How to Get Suspended and Influence People by Adam Selzer

Aug 26, 08

Read in November, 2007

I bought and read this 'cause my friend got engaged to the author and I wanted to read something he wrote. I thought it was very readable and fun young adult book--my only criticism is that (like a lot of kids' books) the characters' dialogue was often more witty and well-constructed than you'd expect even adults' dialogue to be (which I found difficult to swallow despite the fact that they were supposed to be "gifted pool" kids--I was in the gifted program and we weren't quite that well-spoken I'm afraid), and sometimes I felt like the narration was aware that there was an audience reading (like, it "performs" for you sometimes). That said, I thought Leon's situation was amusing and funny and that Adam nailed the "middle-school boy" character very well with all its embarrassments, eagerness to be accepted as well as to appall others, and fun-loving yet "hoodlum-ish" qualities. And he had the balls to include concepts and phrases and words most books for that age group are afraid to cover--much like the protagonist handles taboo subjects and deals with it in his own way when it gets him in trouble. I definitely found it easy to read and look forward to picking up another one of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Get Suspended and Influence People.