Nikki's Reviews > Hair of the Dog

Hair of the Dog by Ashlyn Kane

Apr 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: lgbt, mystery, romance, fantasy, netgalley
Read on April 15, 2012

In the interests of full disclosure, I got Hair of the Dog from netgalley to review... It's a quick read, with both plot and intense sexual tension between the main characters, which I thought was very well handled. Often romance can swallow up the mystery aspect of a story, or vice versa, but I felt this was well-balanced.

I was also impressed by the handling of the power imbalance -- Callum worries about manipulating Ezra, gives him the ability to resist him, resists the temptation to go all caveman (cavewolf? wolfman?) on his ass... It endeared Callum to me. Ezra, too: his submission, and his lack of shame about it, combined with the fact that he was still a strong character, still able to take care of himself, and eager to ask questions and find out about the world he finds himself landed in. Actually, I liked a lot of the characters: the lycanthrope community was well built up, and the world felt real because of it.

The villain was just a little bit (a lot) obvious, though that's partially from me reading other people's reviews. Unsubtle names, too. Overall, I enjoyed it, though, and the ending made me smile.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hair of the Dog.