Jimmy Corvan's Reviews > Shadows in Flight

Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card

Apr 17, 12

Read from April 15 to 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure I gave this 4 stars because it's another good story in the Enderverse. I know that doesn't say much about the book, but I do worry that I am highly biased toward any book in the series (despite disliking Children of the Mind).

That being said, this book was a breath of fresh air for the Shadow series. Having left Earth, Bean's character is finally free of the oppressive geopolitical story arch of the all the Shadow books since Ender's Shadow. While the focus certainly is more so on Bean's kids than on Bean himself, it is rewarding to have experienced so much of Bean's professional character throughout the past 5 books to finally delve into his humanity and to see what his true character is.

The story, on the whole, is uninspiring and will hardly be noteworthy when I look back on the entire series. However, Card is master of dialogue and he certainly flexes that muscle with Shadows in Flight.

My biggest complaint with the book is something that is unfixable. At the end of the Shadow of the Giant, we learn that Bean and Petra agree to name 2 of their kids after Ender and Carlotta. Thus a situation is created where Ender (the kid) and Carlotta (the kid) are referred to by name...this is very jarring as someone who knows both names as completely different people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Flight.

04/15/2012 page 110
46.0% "so far the idea of the book is ridiculous...but it's Card so it's been enjoyable the whole way through"