Destiny's Reviews > Purity

Purity by Jackson Pearce

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 15 to 22, 2012

I really enjoyed seeing author Jackson Pearce break off from her fairy-tale re-tellings with Purity. She introduces us to Shelby, a teenager whose life is bound by three Promises she made to her dying mother. So far her life has run smoothly and following the Promises has been easy.

One day her father tells her about the Princess Ball, a ball where fathers and daughters attend, and the daughter vows to wait to have sex until marriage. This is an extremely common tradition where I am from (minus the Ball). However, Shelby's situation is unique. She has Promised to obey her father and live life without restraint, but isn't so willing to vow to remain a virgin.

She devises a loophole to get around other issues, thus decides a loophole is needed for this particular task. She enlists her two best friends and between them all, they find a way for her to be happy and keep the Promises.

Shelby and her father were interesting to watch develop, as both have essentially lost their emotional connection since her mother died. I also found it very easy to relate to Shelby and her feelings on the issue.

Jackson Pearce does a fantastic job of bringing a topic that is rarely discussed into light and sheds a new perspective on family and friendship. Her characters were real, flawed, easy to relate to, and made this book impossible to put down!!!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purity.

04/15/2012 page 45