Liz's Reviews > A Painted House

A Painted House by John Grisham

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Recommended to Liz by: rick roens
Recommended for: everyone
Read from April 15 to 21, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This is the story about a 7 year old boy, Luke, living on a cotton farm in Arkansas. He dreams of being a baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals. Because he is so young he hears and sees a lot that he shouldn't, and is forced to keep secrets. He witnesses a fight that leaves one dead and doesn't tell the truth, but once he started he couldn't change his story. He also spies on the birth of a child. He comes across the brutal killing of one of the hill people on his farm by the hands of one of the Mexican farm hands. He learns to live with these secrets, but eventually he relays them to one of the adults in his family. He just wants to be a boy and play baseball, but he is hard at work on picking cotton and painting the family home. All the farm hands leave the farm when there is a flood and money is no longer available since there is no work. As a result, it is the last stray for Luke's mom and dad and they decide to leave and go north at the end of the book.

I really found this book fascinating. I enjoyed learning about the ways of life on the cotton farm. Up by 4 having breakfast and already picking 100 or so pounds of cotton before morning sunrise, and only stopping for lunch then finally for dinner when it is dark. I enjoyed reading about how the women in this book got their way every time with the men in the family, even Pappy. I liked how the other was able to give Luke a sense of calm from all his secrets when he finally let them out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Painted House.