Mimi Valentine's Reviews > Purity

Purity by Jackson Pearce

Warning: This book will make you laugh! You'll be smiling so much that your cheeks hurt at some points, and at others you won't be able to help aching for Shelby as she learns difficult life lessons without a mom to guide her, which no kid should have to do.

Shelby has 5 weeks to lose her virginity before she has to vow against impurity at the Princess Ball. The idea may sound juvenile at first, but it's actually NOT. It's sweet and honest. Shelby is bound by three promises she vowed to her mother before she died of cancer, and even when it's difficult sometimes, she's devoted to following them — always. So when two of the promises conflict, she has to rush to fill that loophole before it's too late!

I want to give Shelby a medal of epic snark; she was such a fun, adorable, and heartwarming character! Unlike most teenagers, she takes her promises seriously. But like most teenagers, she's flawed and quirky and ridiculously fun. Along with her best friends, Jonas and Ruby, they make one hilarious trio that you'll be rooting for until the very end.

This is a book about family and friendship, love and loss — and yes, sex, but it's not explicit at all so I feel comfortable recommending it to all growing teens, adults, and any fan of Jackson Pearce! She expertly writes about the strained, awkward, yet totally sweet relationship between a daughter and a father who are trying to reconnect.

Absolutely hilarious and surprisingly heartfelt, Purity is a book that has the heart, soul, and quirky fun necessary for a great read. I finished it in one sitting and itched to pick it up again immediately after, all for the reason that it was so much more than I expected! :)

BUY or BORROW?: This is one short and sweet book that will always be able to warm your heart, even on those darkest days! I don't care what people say, but this is buy-worthy in my opinion! ;)

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purity.

Kaylee Magic Bahahahahaha!! A girl trying to lose her virginity to a countdown? How are you not blushing like mad while reading this, Mimi?! (x

message 2: by Mimi (last edited May 01, 2012 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Sometimes you know me so well that it's embarrassing, Kay :') My face is cherry-tomato red while reading this -- and it's not even explicit or anything! They just mention sex a lot LOL x)

Kaylee Magic Treat it like the voice game! You know, the one we played in elementary school where we had to say the word louder than the person before us to get used to it? :D

Jennifer I laughed so hard reading that book! It was so good :) I hope you enjoy it!

Mimi Valentine @Kaylee: I think you're forgetting that we went to totally different schools LOL! But it's actually so easy to get used to the innuendos and stuff because the characters are so quirky! :)

@Jennifer: I'm laughing so hard reading it right now too! Isn't Shelby just the funniest girl ever?? And I wish I had a best friend as adorable as Jonas growing up! <3

Kaylee Magic Quirky innuendoes? LOL sweetie, ILY!!!!! If we lived in the same city, we'd def be partners in crime. We'd drive our teachers insane! :P

Mimi Valentine Kay, I'm pretty sure it's illegal for us to go to the same school -- you know, for the safety of humankind and all that! x)

Mimi Valentine NOW YOU DEFINITELY WANT TO READ IT, ELENA! ;) It's so fun and sweet and surprisingly heartfelt -- I honestly didn't expect to love this book, but I did anyways. And it was a GREAT surprise! :)

message 9: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ This sounds really cute, Mimi! I love "epic snark" so maybe I'll give this a go. Great review. :)

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine You should, Rachel!! The sweet & snarky banter between Shelby and Jonas is hilarious, and it's just an all around fun book to read. I think you'll like it! :)

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine IT IS A LOT OF FUN! It was surprisingly one of those books that stick with you because the characters are so awesome and the plot is so fast and funny -- I grinned & blushed like crazy reading this! :) Thanks, Sam! <3

Bella I really enjoyed this book also. I'd have to say that Jonas is one of my favorites, just his humorous replies to certain things. Like how it was "torture" that Shelby kept him from getting ice cream.

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I would hate for anyone to have to feel forced to lose their virginity before a deadline. I hope the character realizes that before/if she does. Keeping 2/3 promises isn't bad when it means not compromising yourself. I'll just have to read it to find out if she does. And if the best message possible is given to young readers... I hope it is.