Erin Friend's Reviews > A Beacon of Hope:

A Beacon of Hope by Walter E. Mark

M_50x66
Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy

To use the vernacular of Kosundo, Bumvoce Walter E. Mark! What a drus read! Erith! I didn't know that books like this one were written anymore!

Now that I have that out of my system, I'll explain why I feel this way. The book is simple to read and will appeal to casual readers, but the book is DEEP! I see so many deeply entrenched parallels in this book that it bears some resemblance to The Lord of the Rings. There, I said it.

Now, hear me out before you chastize me. I counted seven major lines of parallelism just in this first book. There might be more that are cloaked within some of the minor story arcs that will be revealed in later volumes of the series. There are societal parallels, moral parallels, and religious parallels woven into each story arc.

Yet, these parallels don't get in the way of the story. They enhance the story by making you think along with the characters.

To borrow from the book's backmatter, On the surface A Beacon of Hope is a great adventure tale able to be read by young readers, but beneath it's surface, it has enough depth to allow a college professor to develope a course around it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beacon of Hope.