Carol's Reviews > Five Little Pigs

Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie

Jan 10, 14

bookshelves: mystery, cozy-mysteries, crime
Read from January 05 to 10, 2014

After a few stressful weeks, I needed another light mystery to smoke through! Reading an Agatha Christie is like eating a small butter/pecan tart or small ice-cream cone. You enjoy the rich flavour and you swallow the entire thing quickly in one bite.

In “Five Little Pigs,” Christie does a great job at providing contrasting characters. It’s a retrospective crime mystery ( with 16 year-old clues), and the true identity of the killer can only be discovered through interviews and journals. This provides Christie with the opportunity to show us just how good she is at presenting completely different characters and viewpoints. The five little piggies are studies in contrast: Philip Blake (the fat little piggy who went to market ie. the stock market ) is veddy aristocratic and narrow-minded - a wonderful satirical presentation of British snobbery and excess; Meredith Blake is the piggy who stayed home – and played with herbs and poisons; Elsa Greer is the piggy who at roast beef (she’s a sexy gluttonous, libidinous type – good to spice up the mystery; Miss Williams is a dyed-in-the-wool straight-jacket governess, right out of any good Victorian suspense novel (the pig who had none); and finally Angela is the little pig who cried wee-wee-wee – she’s a teenager with a disfigured face and cause for lamentation.

The Five little pigs are a great bunch of suspects. I especially enjoyed her portrait of Philip Blake, with his loud guffaws, his deep prejudices and his supposed hatred of the original suspected killer, Caroline Crale.

Not many writers are as good as Christie at presenting quick, memorable sketches of characters. The only danger of such writing is the problem of caricature. Christie falls into this a bit with Blake and the governess. And Poirot isn’t much more than a thin caricature himself.

But who expects depth of character when they pull out a Christie novel? I certainly don’t.

I enjoy the mystery, and I can proudly say that I half-imagined the true killer part way through ( I was half right, half wrong). Good luck at guessing if you read this one. You’ll probably do better than I did!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Little Pigs.

01/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading