Elizabeth B's Reviews > The Book of Lost Fragrances

The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose

Apr 15, 12

Read in March, 2012

If you have seen the movie The Red Violin (which I dearly love) you will understand that this book seems to follow the same premise: one object (in this case, a fragrance) that travels through time and generations with each time period getting it's own story and plot with the thread of the objects discovery in modern time. The stories were not as interesting or emotional as the Red Violin but the similarities to the plotline are the same. Although the characters didn't seem fully developed, the plot was wonderful and the setting exceptionally well drawn. The pace was uneven....I almost stopped reading early into the book because the background information was so tedious and the giant walls of text are off putting. I stuck with it, though, and encourage other readers to do the same. The last third of the novel things begin to pick up and it became quite an enjoyable read. Overall, it was an enjoyable read but perhaps not fast moving or engaging enough to keep readers interested until things finally start to come together.

ARC Galley Proof

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Fragrances.