Cyndy's Reviews > The Power of Six

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

F 50x66
Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: ya

** spoiler alert ** Continues right on the heels of I am Number Four in a very satisfying way. It's interesting that the authors switch to a dual narrator. At times the story feels jumpy because of it, especially since Seven and Four have no personal connection and one's story doesn't add much to the other. The story doesnt gain much from the dual narration except that you get to see in real time how Seven's chest and Henri's little solar system are linked. But that is only one moment in the book. When I think of other multiple narrators like, say, As I Lay Dying or The Blind Assassin, adding more voices creates a lot of complexity, with more insight into themes and relationships. I'm not saying that a young adult novel has to rise to the level of Faulkner, just pointing out that a lot more can be done with this technique.

Also interesting: both I am Number Four and Power of Six end with someone coming to the rescue. In the first book, it's Six. In the second, it's Four and Sam in WV and Six in Spain. I personally love this trend - I love the moment when someone is coming and you just have to hold on long enough for rescue, and the moment when Six's huge rainstorm hits and decimates the Mogs. There's something epic about it, and epic is definitely the direction in which this series is heading. I'm curious about the references to Fate and "isn't it strange how X just happened" (the wind gust blowing the cafe door open for Six, Sam and Four becoming best friends). Not sure how that will turn out, but looking forward to it. Like any sucker for epics, I love any hint of a guarantee that, after a grand fight, good will triumph over evil.

Another thing I like about this series is how information about Lorien is revealed piecemeal. It's quite tantalizing. Ella's appearance, the fact that there are more chimaera hiding out somewhere, Four's visions of the leader of the Mogs. It seems like there is a coherent story being told and it's fun to be along for the ride.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Six.