Katie's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: classics, favorites
Read from June 06 to July 17, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Katie Liked

J.D. Salinger
“Almost every time somebody gives me a present, it ends up making me sad.”

J.D. Salinger
“Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”

J.D. Salinger
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

J.D. Salinger
“People are always ruining things for you.”

J.D. Salinger
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.”

J.D. Salinger
“when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.”

J.D. Salinger
“I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.”

J.D. Salinger
“Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.”

J.D. Salinger
“And I have one of those very loud, stupid laughs. I mean if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I'd probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up.”

J.D. Salinger
“The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move. You could go there a hundred thousand times, and that Eskimo would still be just finished catching those two fish, the birds would still be on their way south, the deers would still be drinking out of that water hole, with their pretty antlers and they're pretty, skinny legs, and that squaw with the naked bosom would still be weaving that same blanket. Nobody's be different. The only thing that would be different would be you. Not that you'd be so much older or anything. It wouldn't be that, exactly. You'd just be different, that's all. You'd have an overcoat this time. Or the kid that was your partner in line the last time had got scarlet fever and you'd have a new partner. Or you'd have a substitute taking the class, instead of Miss Aigletinger. Or you'd heard your mother and father having a terrific fight in the bathroom. Or you'd just passed by one of those puddles in the street with gasoline rainbows in them. I mean you'd be different in some way—I can't explain what I mean. And even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.”

J.D. Salinger
“Ask her if she still keeps all her kings in the back row.”

J.D. Salinger
“I don’t give a damn, except that I get bored sometimes when people tell me to act my age. Sometimes I act a lot older than I am - I really do - but people never notice it. People never notice anything.”

J.D. Salinger
“I felt like I was sort of disappearing. It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing everytime you crossed a road.”

06/18/2011 page 46