Chad Warner's Reviews > The Great Divorce

Apr 15, 2012

bookshelves: christian, fiction
Recommended for: Christians
Read in April, 2012

This fictional story raises thought-provoking questions about Heaven, Hell, and salvation. Lewis’ insights have inspired me to think and study more about the afterlife. In the preface, Lewis makes it clear that "this is a fantasy…the transmortal conditions are solely an imaginative supposal: they are not even a guess or a speculation at what may actually await us. The last thing I wish is to arouse factual curiosity about the details of the afterworld." I’d like to do more research to learn more about Lewis’ beliefs about the afterlife.

I read this book because I saw many comparing it to Rob Bell's Love Wins (read my review). Although there are several points on which I disagree with Lewis, I feel closer to his view of Heaven and Hell than to Rob Bell’s. I differ from both authors in that I’m a Calvinist, and they’re both Arminian; Lewis believes that everyone can be saved, but not all choose to be; Bell believes that all will be saved despite themselves. Beyond that, I’ll leave the detailed theological analyses and debates to others.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.