Aspen's Reviews > On Basilisk Station

On Basilisk Station by David Weber

199759
Apr 15, 12

Rereading this book for the first time in a while, I was reminded of just how much I enjoyed it. Honor Harrington is a strong, complex protagonist with both strengths and flaws, and the series explores a space going far future with interesting sociopolitical and cultural issues mixed very well into the story of interesting people. The book (and the series) is occasionally a bit heavy on military strategy and detailed explanation of the mechanics of space travel -- the long section given to the discovery of grav waves and Warshowski sail FTL methods, for example -- so those who aren't fond of such things might find it a bit slow going at times, but it's well worth the time.

If I remember correctly, Harrington is based to a degree on Admiral Lord Nelson, and the Star Kingdom of Manticore on Britain, but it's not so obvious as to be fully predictable. On Basilisk Station takes place as Honor, a commander in the Queen's Navy, assumes her first hyper-capable ship command, and is a fascinating and exciting story. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Basilisk Station.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I loved these books and read almost the entire series, until they really started getting bogged down in the military details. Put me down for a reread soon!