Twiggy's Reviews > Virals

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: thriller, wtf, annoying-heroine
Read in April, 2012

Oh dear!

I think she's made too much money and her editor couldn't face being honest about the whole thing.

This is clearly Kathy Reichs attempt to enter the teenager/ young adult market with a combination of mystery thriller /DNA science/ high school cotillion/ with supernatural powers thrown in for good measure...

Well I suppose it was an original combination.

What really made me hate it, was the fact that she set it in the same 'world' as that of Temperance Brennan and the teenage heroine Tory is her great niece. Given the developments by the end of the book, this was just really problematic as regards the concept of realism and made me worried for good old Tempe.

Anyway this starts of with 4 really super smart teenagers living on a remote island off Charlston whilst their families work on a nearby research island. Of course they just happen to attend the smartest private school in Charlston, where they can be picked on by the rich kids, except for Tory , who naturally attracts the attention of the two most popular boys at school.

Our fearless team like messing about on the research library and seem to go out of their way to just be annoying. Tory finds a set of dog tags on the island. This means that at all costs she must identify them. Any means are justified. Full day research in the public library followed by felony break in to the lab in order to use specialist equipment to clean the god damned things , returning to the scene, digging up a dead body, refusing to call the police until after same, interfering with a crime scene, lying to everyone, identification of disappeared dead body ( at all costs), identification of murderer ( again at all costs - without telling any adult) etc etc etc.

what happened to teenagers just wanting to go out and get drunk?

Anyway all of this was annoying enough but on top of that we have secret experimental dog who contaminates them all with wolf DNA and they end up with super powers.

The ending was even worse. Again no adults involved.

Total car crash.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virals.

Neil Based on the little I know of the author, I believe she writes as a recreational hobby. If nothing else, it would be a well deserved break from the heinous nature of her 'day job'. Her editor and publisher must have been willing to gamble that there would be people like me that would be willing to read this series. Thank you for your review, I just thought I would comment on a review I saw that differed with my opinion, as one of my hobbies is expanding my horizons.

Cmei of course the kids are annoying! as a teenager, they should be. besides, only one really likes her.

Book Obsessed Maybe you just can't see it through the eyes of a teenager. Being one, I actually loved it! I thought it was very well written and a wonderful story plot. It's my favorite book by far and believe me I've read many. But I do respect you opinion and am not trying to sound rude.