Katherine's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 15 to 20, 2012

My first experience of Stephenson, and I enjoyed the sheer geekery of it. However, it was quite hard to get into at first - the Re-U bit was DULL. The whole book seemed to talk in circles. It is a tome and if there's one thing Stephenson seems to be good at, it's saying very little in a hell of a lot of words.

I enjoyed it. While I was reading it, I kept telling my friends how awesome it was. Little touches here and there made me giggle, and some of the descriptions made me jump up and down shouting "I've BEEN to that island! I got lost there! They thought I'd been kidnapped by sex slave traffickers!" ... as one does.

I liked the bits about Olivia, although she seemed to get a bit lost. I think this book suffered from too many unnecessary characters.

That and a 200 page or so gunfight in which the action could be summed up as 'and then they went from A to B and shot at each other until everyone died, even the fluffy kitty cat'.

A good book to read on a plane, or under the table in boring lectures, but not a 5 star work of what my sister calls 'litrahchaaaah'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.

04/15/2012
04/15/2012
30.0% "THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME!!!!!"