Laurent's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Apr 15, 2012

did not like it
Read in January, 2010

Boring, repetitive, uninspiring, far too long

I've just finished this book and I'm quite surprised at how well this book has done in the reviews (whilst being aware I'm in the minority).

If you take away the fact that Henry time-travels, this is actually a really boring and unoriginal love story. After the first 50 odd pages, which were intriguing, you quickly get over the fact that Henry's time travelling and the novelty of this really wears thin.

Then, the book just becomes an unending series of chapters about everyday life; but nothing of interest really happens!!! .... Yes, I get it, they're in love. He time travels. Give me something more! But there isn't anything more.

The themes that could have been interesting and funny, like when Henry actually time travels to random locations and arrives completely naked aren't elaborated upon. And when he time-travels back to the present, there are hint that Henry's had an adventure, but this isn't explored.

Finally, for such a large book, I didn't find that I really got to know or care for the characters. They don't have any real depth and by the last hundred and fifty pages I found myself skip-reading parts as I couldn't bear to read another passage about how they're having dinner with their friends or meeting when Claire is still a youth. Sorry to be so negative.