Len Vlahos's Reviews > Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...And Others Don't

Good to Great by James C. Collins

Apr 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

I finally got around to reading Good to Great. It more or less lived up to the hype as being both inspirational and instructional. I just have three quick comments:

1. Like many business books, this would be better as a long magazine article instead of a book. The author, while deft, belabors point after point. While it was less true here than in some other business books, it's still longer than it needs to be.

2. A few of the ideas put forth -- e.g., the hedgehog concept, the three circles -- are brilliant observations, but, to my way of thinking, still require a certain kind of magic or special sauce that cannot be found by adhering to a set of principles. It's just too easy to identify and believe in the wrong Hedgehog concept and not know it until it's too late. I guess what I'm saying is that while the ideas are great, they can only go so far in helping put your business on the right track. Ingenuity, creativity, and a certain amount of luck will be needed too.

3. Don't read this on an iPhone. The charts and graphs are too small, and the software (in this case Nook, but I think all of the apps) didn't allow for enlarging the images.

But all in all, I'd still give this a very strong recommendation for anyone in a leadership role, or anyone who aspires to be in a leadership role

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good to Great.

message 1: by Eusebio (new) - added it

Eusebio I'm curious as to what definition is the author referring to?

hedgehog [hej-hog, -hawg]

noun
an Old World, insect-eating mammal of the genus Erinaceus, especially E. europaeus, having spiny hairs on the back and sides.
the porcupine.

a portable obstacle made of crossed logs in the shape of an hourglass, usually laced with barbed wire.
b.
an obstructive device consisting of steel bars, angle irons, etc., usually embedded in concrete, designed to damage and impede the boats and tanks of a landing force on a beach.