Christian's Reviews > And Still We Rise:: The Trials and Triumphs of Twelve Gifted Inner-City Students

And Still We Rise by Miles Corwin

Apr 14, 12

Recommended to Christian by: Professor Luz Maria Chung
Recommended for: Everyone, educational studies major
Read from April 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book is the epitome of the contrasting and ever widening issue concerning education and equality. Corwin explores the divide between a inner-city high school and their journey to get out of the "ghetto" and gang infested neighborhoods that inhabit the surrounding area of the high school.

Corwin also elegantly weaves between the lives of 12 high school students, showcasing their strengths, their goals, and their ambition to get a better start. This book takes place in the last year of affirmative action in California, criticizing how California is now taking away the "one of the correct" solutions in equalizing minority recruitment into universities. By illustrating the lives of these 12 high school students, Corwin enables the reader to sympathize, empathize, and connect with each character on a sentimental depth.

By looking at the educational inequality that still plagues America even now, Corwin gives the reader a small glimpse to the overlooked realm of prejudice and hardship that was "thought" to have disappeared by Brown vs. The Board of Education that "supposedly" ended segregation in schools.

I highly recommend this book, it is a fast paced and genuinely satisfying read that will both make you want to change the current education system now or just make you more aware of how, when you meet another student of different ethnic background, can have a semblance of understanding to not judge them by face value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Still We Rise.