Brooke's Reviews > The Year of the Beasts

The Year of the Beasts by Cecil Castellucci

Jul 05, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, realistic-fiction

Two sisters. The younger one gets the boy the older one wants and the older one is jealous, even though she ends up with her own secret boyfriend- the awkward guy no one really likes. 1/4 of the book is a graphic novel about a girl with hair as snakes who is basically medusa. At some point I expected these stories to come together in an awesome way, and that is why I kept reading...and yet they really didn't. They sort of did, but I didn't really get it and it just didn't work for me. Also, spoiler art.....the younger sister suddenly dies towards the end of the book, out of nowhere, and the book totally gets dark and changes tone and there isn't any foreshadowing so this just happens and again, doesn't work for me. It seems like other reviews felt an emotional connection to this book, but I felt none, at all (which for me is odd, because if a book is even slightly meant to make you cry, I am sobbing).

I was excited about the format...it being part graphic novel, and I was a fan of boyproof, but this one just felt like a boring storing of sisters with a random graphic novel fantasy component mixed in. Also, the cool cover made me think this was about a radical feminist type of girl character. Wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Beasts.