Adalira Morningstar's Reviews > Alyzon Whitestarr

Alyzon Whitestarr by Isobelle Carmody

May 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, romance, read-in-2012, mental-illness, death-and-grief
Read from May 10 to 11, 2012

This is another one of those "saw a brief description in the library's catalog and thought it sounded interesting" reads and this time, my whims actually found me a book I enjoyed.

Alyzon is the most unimpressive member of her quirky and exceptionally talented family. All that changes when one day she suffers a blow to the head and awakens from a month long coma with dramatically increased senses. The taste of food moves her to tears, she can talk to her cat through scents, she can smell people's emotions and she can make someone forget whole conversations just by willing it.

The Good: I found Alyzon to a likable character. She took her new powers and used them to help others. She cares about her family and friends (such a nice break from ugh-my-family-cares-about-me Bella Swan). She got things done. She didn't find the super hot stalkerish guy to be attractive. She passes the Bechdel test - all in all, good.

The Okay: I was surprised and a little turned off by the sudden "people smell bad because they've gotten an unexplained infection that rots their soul from the core" plot turn. Up until this point I was enjoying the story, but after the whole infection point started showing up every chapter I started losing interest.

The Bad: I was annoyed by Alyzon's friends that seem to be one giant hivemind. They all have the same opinions. They're all instantly willing to believe and help Alyzon regardless of the situation. Put my life in risk for you, near stranger? Sure! I don't see why not! Thankfully, several of us are rolling in money so I can get whatever we need!

Also, the unending really bothered me. I believe that if I've shouldered through 500 pages - I deserve an ending other than a vague and dramatic it's not over warning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alyzon Whitestarr.

05/10/2012 page 425