Jennifer's Reviews > The Complete Idiot's Guide To Writing A Novel

The Complete Idiot's Guide To Writing A Novel by Tom Monteleone

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction-writing
Read in April, 2012

I found this book to be a great source tools and advice for a person who would like to attempt to write his or her first novel. The author has the perfect credentials, from his formal education to his early years submitting short stories to science fiction magazines. He has read slush as well as edited seven SF anthologies.

His guidance on writing assumes from the outset that you have basic writing ability and talent. Chapters range from advice on how to manage your time and use proper grammer to a tutorial on self-publishing and E-publishing. The author writes in a well-organized and clear way that gives succinct examples of his teachings. His tone is not that of an English professor (a profession he shows obvious disdain for) and he insists that writing should be a fun venture. After reading this book I felt like I had a friend, an experienced author in my corner, cheering me on.

Recommended for writers who want to get a basic grasp of what it takes to write, rewrite, and publish their first novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Idiot's Guide To Writing A Novel.