Rebecca's Reviews > Ten

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: love-the-cover, wishlist-ya-book-exchange, to-buy
Read from October 07 to 10, 2012

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars.

I've never read And Then There Were None, and I've heard this is a YA retelling of it, so I really have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully I'll get around to ATTWN some time in the near future so I can see the similiarites.

I usually don't read books like this. Nothing with the potential to scare me. I scare really easily, sadly. But I really wanted to read this, and I'd seen a few reviews saying the violence and terror wasn't too horribly scary. So I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I did.

The writing is done very well. I really could feel the tension mounting and visualize the scenes playing out in my head like a movie. The murders weren't extremely gory, a fact I was grateful for. I had some strong suspicions about who the killer was throughout the book, and I was wrong. But it's always nice to be surprised, I guess.

What I didn't care for about this novel was that we're given very little time to get to know any of the characters aside from the narator, her friend, and her love interest. And since I didn't know so much about them, it was hard to mourn them when they died. But then, I tried not to get attatched to anyone because I knew they were all going to die anyway.

I didn't care for the narrator, Meg, for a lot of this book, but that's mostly because of Minnie. I wished and wished that Meg would recognize the almost abusive nature of their friendship.

So even through I had some issues with this book, it was still very engrossing and very readable. 3.5 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

10/09/2012 page 108
36.0% "I really, really hate Minnie. And I would have told TJ about the picture."

dateDown_arrow    newest »