Katie's Reviews > An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793

An American Plague by Jim Murphy

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: middle-level, eced-221

This book describes the Yellow Fever Epidemic in Philadelphia in 1793. It explains exactly what yellow fever is and how Philadelphia reacted to the outbreak, as well as what happened afterwards. In the end, the book explains yellow fever in relation to our society today.

This book was very accurate, and the author provided many sources to back up his claims. The information is in chronological order, so it is very easy to follow. The design is appropriate for children, and there are pictures to accompany the text, which is a nice addition. The writing style is also very clear and engaging.

The topic of yellow fever may not seem very exciting, but this book was very informative and kept me interested until the end. It gave emotional details and really described the horror of the epidemic. After reading this, I don’t just think of the yellow fever epidemic as another cold historical fact; I can imagine how terrible it must have been for the citizens of Philadelphia. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in learning about the epidemic. It’s also a great classroom resource for students who might want more information on the topic, but I wouldn’t recommend it as required reading, because it is not the kind of topic that would keep every student engaged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An American Plague.