Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Golden Apples of the Sun

The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

Oct 17, 10

bookshelves: sf, 2010, i-hate-short-stories
Read from October 10 to 16, 2010

How does one review a book of tiny short stories? Do I describe the stories individually? Or do I just mention a couple favorites, like the one about the last dinosaur and the lighthouse, or the pedestrian, or The Sound of Thunder, the time travel story that everyone knows even if they don't know the name of?

I'm one of the few people that didn't have to read Fahrenheit 451 in school so the only exposure I had to Ray Bradbury before this was issues of Tales from the Crypt where they adapted his stories. Bradbury's got a quaint sort of writing style and most of his tales have that bite you in ass ending. He knows how to tell a short story without letting it get too wordy. 22 stories in 169 pages is impressive. Not all of them are gems but there are more gems than bits of broken glass in this collection, that's for sure.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Apples of the Sun.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I've never read any Bradbury before. I mostly picked this one off the shelf so I'd have something to break up Mornings in Jenin with since it's supposed to be a sad book. It's cool that it's a fall book.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Wow, I'm surprised you haven't read any Bradbury before! You are in for a treat, though I haven't read this particular work. I am looking forward to your opinion.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent It's a collection of really short short stories. 22 stories in 169 pages is pretty impressive. I expect I'll track down The Martian Chronicles at some point if this one grabs me.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Now that Halloween is coming you may also want to read The Halloween Tree.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert This has some of his absolute classics. I recommend The Illustrated Man if liked this: Zero Hour is the perfect short Story.