Michele's Reviews > Dead Angler

Dead Angler by Victoria Houston

Jul 16, 2007

Read in July, 2007

More Local Flavor Than a Friday Night Fish Fry
This is the first story I’ve read by Northwoods author, Victoria Houston. Reading it while surrounded by the settings she so colorfully and accurately describes added to my enjoyment of the experience. It’s a themed murder mystery that anyone with a remote interest in fishing—particularly fly-fishing—will savor for the knowledgeable references to the sport and those who participate in it.

The main characters are very well drawn and highly likable. Osborne, aka “Doc,” is a retired dentist-made deputy on the case of the ‘dead angler,’ Meredith Marshall. Doc discovers the body while fishing with his friend, Lewellyn Ferris. “Lew” is the Loon Lake chief of police, the first woman to hold the job. She’s smart and sexy, and an expert fisherman. (Doc is more attracted to her than he realizes.) Doc’s neighbor, Ray Pradt, is probably best described as a local-yokel, a celebrated fishing guide who wears a trout on his head in the form of hat and has a side-job digging graves. Together, this trio falls into several precarious situations as they solve the case. Each stays true to character throughout the story and the dialog is so good, I could ‘hear’ them talking—Northwoods dialect and all. Meanwhile, Meredith’s sister, Alicia, is juicy, detestable villainess throughout the story; however, other suspects in the case are not given equal time to make uncovering the mystery in the plot the reason to keep turning pages.

I simply liked spending time in this region with these characters, and I look forwarding to reading more of Houston’s series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Angler.

02/16 marked as: read