Sally's Reviews > The Dark Horse

Apr 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from May 09 to 17, 2012

The Dark Horse is the 5th in the Craig Johnson mystery series about Wyoming Sheriff Walt Longmire. I read the first book, The Cold Dish, and liked it, so when I could get the audiobook version of The Dark Horse at a sale price, I jumped on it. The story stands on its own with a good plot and mystery, but I think I might have enjoyed it more had I read the intervening stories, because it seemed that the core group of characters have been through some life events that I missed reading about.

There are so many similarities with another series I read that I found myself mingling them in my mental visualization of the man/sheriff. The other series was Steven F. Havill's stories about Bill Gastner, sheriff in Posadas County New Mexico, a series of 9 book published between 1991 and 2001. I couldn't help but wonder if Craig Johnson had read those books before writing his first Walt Longmire book which was published in 2004. At any rate, for anyone who has read the Steven Havill's series, I think the Walt Longmire books would be enjoyable too, and vice versa.

I saw recently that A&E will be airing a TV series based on the Walt Longmire stories, beginning June 3, 2012.

As this is a murder mystery, it is not suitable reading for kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Horse.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy McWilliams Finished this last week. Exhausted !! These are terrific reads. Makes me want to return to Wyoming. I've been trying to read these in order, so next up for me is "Junkyard Dogs". nancy