Mark's Reviews > Bad Island

Bad Island by Doug TenNapel

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, survival, young-adult-literature, fantasy
Read in April, 2012

"'Nope. This island was populated only by hostile creatures ... and I think it was intentional!'

'But who would do that? The military? Some greedy, corrupt corporation?'

'Son, you've watched too many movies.'

'Then who? Canada?'"

After a forced "fun" family vacation turns disastrous, Reese and his family find themselves shipwrecked on a remote island, surrounded by strange plants and wildlife. What the family soon discovers is that the island is the direct product of an ancient battle waged beyond our planet. And if the family doesn't discover what their found clues and artifacts mean, it will be too late.

This was a fun, quick read, definitely a good one for tween and reluctant readers. I enjoyed TenNapel's GHOSTOPOLIS, and the artwork in this GN is similarly strong, with great coloring and action sequences. I've read how the plot in this work parallels some incidents in the tv series LOST, but having never watched that show, I'll take their word for it. If you're looking for strong character development and an airtight plot, seek elsewhere. But if you take this book for what it is, it's a good read, one that is sure to keep a reader's interest.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Island.