Shane's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Oct 11, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in October, 2008

What's great about Bill Bryson is his genuine appreciation and love for the things he chooses to write about. In A Walk in the Woods, Bryson applies his usual framework (as far as I can tell from the two books of his I've read) to the Appalachian Trail - he discusses the current state of things while he walks the trail, and intermingling history and sidenotes along the way. As ever, he is amusing and expressive, and showcases his mild elitism.

That elitism - the way Bryson always seems to think he knows What Is Best and How Things Should Be - is part him speaking to the way a large percentage of his readers think (including myself, of course), but also gets a little heavy-handed at times. While I'm sure Bill is a great traveling companion and a nice guy, it's irritating to read about yet another person who isn't as considerate or appreciative of the AT as Bryson thinks he is.

Ultimately, however, AWITW is another sensitive, descriptive, and enjoyable work by Bryson. It's a realistic view of the AT and the world around it and not a rose-tinted tale of a life-changing hike across America. While I definitely preferred In a Sunburned Country, I would suggest it to anyone who enjoy Bryson's style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.

12/04/2013 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny weird --i just started this too.