Christina Jones's Reviews > Lady Justice and the Watchers

Lady Justice and the Watchers by Robert Thornhill

Apr 14, 12

Read in March, 2012

Conundrum: A logical postulation that evades resolution, an intricate and difficult problem. That is the essence of Robert Thornhill's latest Mystery / Comedy Novel, Lady Justice and the Watchers, featuring retired real estate agent Walt Williams. How can the American populace enjoy all the freedom and safety brought to us by advanced technology (OnStar in the cars, personal and home security systems); the convenience of credit /debit cards, on line banking, and hands-free communication devices; and the exhilaration of being able to communicate with friends and family on opposite sides of the world by Skype--and still maintain our privacy from those who would do us harm or seek to manipulate us: the crooks, the terrorists, our own government? Does the average person realize the cost in personal freedom? Do they care? Should they care? These are the questions posed in this thought-provoking and thoroughly disquieting story.

The eighth novel in the Lady Justice series finds Walt being initiated into the 21st Century of technological advances that enable police to better do their jobs, such as the ability of OnStar to pinpoint stolen cars, report accidents where the driver might be too injured to report himself, to even slow down and stop a stolen car. He learns that if you have a cell phone turned on, it (and the person carrying it) can be pinpointed and tracked. On the flip side, the bad guys can do this, too. In fact, by picking up random "chatter" from cell phone calls and internet messages, the government can thwart possible terror attacks. The target in this book involves the All-Star Game in Kansas City, MO. Will Walt and the feds be able to stop the proposed carnage at Royal Stadium?

At the same time, Walt also learns how much power the government now has in using these tools. A group of Pakistani exchange students and their American host families are caught up in the intrigue, and though they are innocent, all their civil liberties are suspended indefinitely. Is this the Justice that Walt believes in and fights for?

This should be a "Must Read" for every person, young and old, regardless of our political persuasion. Told with his usual humor and fast pace, Thornhill's book challenges the reader to think deeply about where we've been and where we are going. His best work yet!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Justice and the Watchers.

Gail I am so looking forward to this book coming out! The Lady Justice series is awesome! Fast pace reading with lots of twists and turns. You never know what Walt will get into next with his passe...Thanks Robert for such awesome books!