Nicole's Reviews > The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006

The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006 by Dave Eggers

F 50x66
Mar 18, 07

Read in January, 2007

I generally like the series, but I felt this was the weakest collection so far. It had the most thematic continuity, and I think the quality of the works included suffered as a result.

It's cool that they are including more media, but come on...the screenwriting selection was "Me, You, and Everyone We Know"? Was it included in spite of or because of the fact that most of the readers had probably already seen and discussed the movie at length? How about something a little more off the radar?

Some of the stories were cheesily sentimental, others tedious and predictable in a different way.
The Katrina essay was excellent, and I really liked the unabashed gushing about Dubai in "The New Mecca." The "Lesson in Creative Writing" was pleasant though a little self-aware, especially considering its precious placement at the "almost end" of the book. All in all, I'd say it's a good read, but if you've never read any other "Nonrequireds," start someplace else.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006.